October is SIDS Awareness Month. SIDS is the leading cause of death among infants one month to one year of age. I’m sure you’ve heard the saying “back to sleep,” which is part of the prevention of SIDS, but here are some more tips from HALO to ensure your baby is sleeping safely:
- Put baby to sleep on his/her back at nap time and night time.
- Use a crib that meets current safety standards and cover a firm mattress with a snug, tight-fitting crib sheet.
- Remove all soft blankets and toys from baby’s sleep area. The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests using a wearable blanket instead of loose blankets.
- Offer a pacifier when baby goes to sleep.
- Put baby in a separate sleep area from yours.
- Never put your baby to sleep on a soft surface where they can roll over and suffocate (adult beds, sofas, chairs, water beds, quilts, etc.)
- Never dress your baby too warmly for sleep. Room temperature is best.
- Never allow anyone to smoke around your baby or take your baby into a room or car where someone has smoked.
You can find a lot more great information on sleep safety at halosleep.com.
To celebrate the release of the HALO Bassinest, a revolutionary new bed for baby that swivels 360 degrees, HALO is doing 30 days of giveaways! Enter to win on their Facebook page. The Bassinest is available at select retailers.
One lucky reader has the chance to win a HALO Sleep Sack! This giveaway is open to U.S. and Canadian residents and will end on 10/20 at 11:59 p.m. EST. Please enter on the Rafflecopter below.
Momma T and Family is not responsible for prize fulfillment. We did not receive compensation for this post.