Momma T and Family received a product in order to facilitate a review.
I remember as a kid playing Super Mario World on my old school Nintendo and absolutely loving the little green dinosaur named Yoshi. You can imagine my excitement when we were asked to try out Yoshi’s New Island!
About Yoshi’s New Island:
In the Yoshi’s New Island game, Yoshi moves from sidekick to hero in a platforming adventure on a new island with new power-ups. Traverse a wide variety of worlds to help Baby Mario reunite with his kidnapped brother.
I am not sure who was more excited when we received Yoshi’s New Island, my son or myself! Anyone who is familiar with Yoshi’s character knows that he was originally intended to just be the “sidekick” to Mario and Luigi. In this new adventure game created by Arzest, Yoshi takes center stage again and becomes the hero.
Yoshi’s New Island is a one player, side scrolling platform, game with a rating of E (for everyone) and does contain some mild cartoon violence. The game can be used with Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, and the Nintendo 2DS.
The game features a new island containing six worlds to explore including slippery snow slopes and watery wonderlands filled with creative challenges, rowdy enemies and lots of collectibles! Players are sure to love the Mega and Metal Eggdozers which are larger than Yoshi eggs. Players will be able to launch a Mega Eggdozers, plow through the environment and more!
Some other great Yoshi’s New Island features:
- Yoshi can transform into different vehicles which include a helicopter, submarine, and even a mine care! All vehicles can be controlled using the gyroscopic controls of the Nintendo 3DS system.
- Yoshi acquires a certain type of Star in some stages where he can power up and become “Super Yoshi.” He’ll fly like a shooting star through the sky or temporarily be able to run along walls and ceilings.
- The game has a special aid for new players and if players are having trouble getting through a stage, they might see the appearance of “Flutter Wings” which let Yoshi spout wings and fly through the air!
- Battle large bosses and solve puzzles using Yoshi’s egg throwing and flutter jumping skills
- Players can also team up with a friend in the two player mini game cooperative challenge mode. Experience this mode with only one cartridge using Download Play or connect via local wireless. (Additional Nintendo 3DS systems are required for multiplayer mode and are sold separately.)
I gave in and let me son try it out first. He is an avid gamer so he knew just what to do or at least he seemed to. He progressed through stages quicker than I had expected but I guess it shouldn’t be a to shock me, coming from a child who beat another game in less than 24 hours.
Landon says he loves Yoshi’s New Island! The bosses are challenging yet fun and the worlds were vibrant and very kid friendly. I can see my son and I fighting over time on the 3DS at this rate!
From as kids aspect, this is a great game and perfect for new and even experienced players! Its a perfect first game for newcomers!
If your child likes to play video games I recommend picking this up! Yoshi’s New Island retails for $39.99 and is available in the the Nintendo eShop, on Amazon or you can visit the Yoshi’s New Island Website to find a retailer near you!
What is your favorite feature of Yoshi’s New Island? Is it a game you think your kid(s) will love?
Disclosure: Momma T and Family received a product in order to facilitate a review. No form of compensation was received. All opinions are mine alone and may differ from those of your own. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”