Hospital Bag Checklist for Moms-to-Be!

This post may contain affiliate links.

Packing a hospital bag in preparation of giving birth can be exciting but also a bit overwhelming. What do you need? What do you not need? How do you know what to pack and what to leave out? When I had E back in 2011, I was clueless and ended up not bringing anything I truly needed! I made sure not to make the same mistake the second time around when I recently had my son. Here is a basic hospital bag checklist of must-haves and suggestions of things you need to pack!

Hospital-Bag-Checklist

For Labor:

• Photo ID
  • Insurance cards
  • Your birth plan
  • Hospital paperwork
  • Cell phones and chargers
  • Labor support items (computer, MP3 player, birthing ball)
  • Drinks (if allowed)
  • Camera, extra batteries, charger, and an SD card
  • Extra socks
  • Sweater

For Postpartum:

• Travel toiletries kit
  • 2-3 pairs of comfy pants or shorts
  • 2-3 tanks tops (Nursing tanks if you plan on breastfeeding)
  • 2-3 shirts
  • Sweater or hoodie
  • Slippers
  • 2-3 pairs of socks
  • 2 Nursing bras (if you plan to nurse)
  • Underwear (Note: Most hospitals will provide you with mesh panties for after delivery, use them!)
  • Clothing for your partner (at least two outfits)
  • Cosmetics
  • Lip Balm
  • Hair brush and accessories
  • Cash for vending machines
  • An extra bag for gifts and other items you might accumulate during your hospital stay!

what-to-pack-in-hospital-bag

For Baby:

• A take home outfit
  • A blanket for when leaving the hospital
  • Infant Car Seat
  • Onesies
  • Socks
  • Mittens
  • Pacifier (if using one)
  • Wipes (some hospitals don’t provide them)

Things you should also consider bringing:

Things you don’t need to pack becasue most hospitals will provide it:

• Receiving blankets
  • Diapers
  • Formula
  • Towels
  • Breast pump (Most hospitals will be able to provide one during your stay)

When it doubt, check with the hospital you are to give birth at! I highly recommend going on a hospital maternity tour before delivering becasue they will let you know what they will provide for you and your baby during your hospital stay.

Find a printable version of the hospital bag checklist HERE!

Make sure to check out these suggestions from Momma T and Family readers when I asked them for hospital bag recommendations!

What is a must-have for a hospital bag? What do you think I should put in there that most people might forget?

This post contains affiliate links.

Help Your Kids Feel Better with Dr. Cocoa! #DrCocoaReliefWithASmile
Capturing Memories from Bump to Baby Giveaway from Similac Strong Moms! #SimilacStrongMoms

Related posts:

Comments

1. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says

This is definitely going to help a lot of first time moms out there. It looks like you thought of everything.

2. Kathy says

You have a great list here. Clothes are always a must on my list. They’re going to need to come home in clothes. I usually pack my own toothbrush/toothpaste as well. I know the hospitals may not always provide those.

3. says

I took my pre-pregnancy blue jeans when I had my first child. I was very very young. 😉 My SIL went to my home to get me a maternity dress and jammies. 😉

4. says

That’s a great list for moms to be. I remember I wasn’t organized at all and way to nervous to think about it, this list would have come in very handy back then.

5. says

This is a great list and pretty much covers all the bases! One thing that isn’t on it that I brought was my own cute hospital gown. I didn’t want that ugly thing they put on me the first time, it was much more comfortable (closed better than the tie-close gowns they give you) and it made my new baby/mommy pictures cuter.

6. says

This is a great list. My youngest was born quite unexpectedly at home, and a couple of weeks before her due date so I wasn’t prepared for the hospital.

7. says

This is a great list!! My must haves from your list were my nursing bras and tanks, slippers and a robe. I lived in those for the day in the hospital room and read my kindle and napped. Thanks for mentioning spouses – we had to bring a sweatshirt for my husband because I froze him out while I was in labor! Ha ha

8. says

I just knew that my son was going to be late, so I didn’t rush to pack a bag. Well, I went into labor 10 days before my due date and I didn’t have a bag packed! I wish I had a list like this back then, lol.

9. Bonnie @ wemake7 says

Your list is perfect. I was always at the end wondering if I forgot anything but seemed to be okay when I was in the hospital.

10. says

.. and make sure your nurses actually read your birth plan. My daughter wrote hers down in detail and her nurses totally ignored it. My son-in-law had to take them aside and insist they took a few minutes to familiarize themselves with it.

11. Rebecca Swenor says

This is an amazing post indeed for mamas to be. I will have to share this with my niece who is due next month but I think my lil great niece wants to be early like her mother. Thanks so much for sharing.

12. says

Our baby is due in two weeks and I’ve been putting off packing the hospital bag. We have one six year old daughter and I have absolutely no recollection of the things I needed at the hospital with her. It’s definitely time to start packing and this post is extremely helpful!